I came across a problem recently with an Exchange 2013 server component showing as inactive which had me puzzled for a while, but in the end was an easy fix.
The Exchange 2013 server OWAProxy component showing as inactive. Further, running the Set-ServerComponentState to change the component state to active had no affect
In my case, the issue was due to the interaction between States & Requesters as described in this blog
The process to bring a component back active is to run the following command
Set-servercomponent –COMPONENT OwaProxy –IDENTITY servername –REQUESTER maintenance –STATE Active
I’m my case I used the “maintenance” requester in my command as I suspected the server in question had been put into maintence recently. However, this was not working for me.
After a bit of digging around, I came across this blog from The Exhange Team which described how a server component must be made active using the same “requester” that was used to make it inactive.
I had no idea which requester was used in my case. However, as there are only 5:
I ran the set-servercomponent command using each until I discovered that it was the HealthAPI requester that was used in my case.
Ran set-servercomponent using the HealthAPI requester
Set-servercomponent –COMPONENT OwaProxy –IDENTITY servername –REQUESTER HealthAPI –STATE Active